The original M & H Railroad Company was formed in 1888 by local businessmen. Construction of the line between its namesake Boroughs was completed in 1890. From then until 1976 it was part of the Reading Railroad. Since 1976, the Middletown & Hummelstown Railroad has been an independent company. Freight service has been provided since 1976 and tourist passenger service has been provided since 1986.
The M & H Railroad uses a 1941 or 1955 General Electric Diesel Locomotive for passenger service. Our Canadian National Steam Engine #91 Mogul 2-6-0 is out of service at this time. The 1956 ALCO (900-HP) and 1969 ALCO (1000-HP) Diesel Electric Engines handle freight interchanged with the Norfolk Southern Railroad at our Middletown interchange.