Packwood House Museum is among the oldest log-built structures of its kind in Pennsylvania, originally constructed as a two-story log cabin between 1796 and 1799.
It initially served as a tavern and inn for river travelers along the Susquehanna.
In the early 19th century, with the construction of the Pennsylvania Canal's crosscut at Lewisburg, the tavern evolved into a hotel known as the American House.
The hotel eventually expanded into an impressive three-story 27-room structure in the mid-19th century.
In the 1860's, with the arrival of the Pennsylvania Railroad to the downtown, interest in river travel faded and the hotel soon lost much of its business.
The American House closed in the late 1880s, and the structure was converted into three townhouses.