DelGrosso's Amusement Park
DelGrosso’s Amusement Park. Since its beginnings around the turn of the century, the Park has been a source of family entertainment.
- The Rinard brothers first entertained the public on the Bland Family farm in 1907 when they brought their carnival to Tipton. Twelve years later, Fred Bland opened the park, which consisted of a small dance floor and a picnic grove.
-The Roaring 20’s were prosperous in Tipton. Many of the crowds who came to the Altoona-Tipton Speedway, located just up the road, also visited the Park. In 1928 the Bland Family sold the park to George Rinard, who brought in more rides. He also added a bowling alley and a roller skating rink.
-During the depression Rinard’s park came on hard times and went down hill. As the nation despaired, the park fell into a sad state of disrepair. By the late 1940’s, it had been reduced to a handful of picnic shelters, and only three rides remained in this once glorious amusement center.
-Altoona railroader Fred DelGrosso believed that he and his wife Mafalda could give new life to the Park. He bought the amusement park in 1946 and almost immediately began improvements.
DelGrosso's Amusement Park is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media