Since its humble beginning in 1983, Carbon County Environmental Education Center has developed and grown into a premier educational facility.
Housed in a converted 1920 dairy barn, the center is located on 70 acres of woodland, wetland, and meadow habitat within Mauch Chunk Lake Park. In a 1992 expansion, the building and grounds underwent some considerable changes, but the mission and motto remained the same, “Conservation Through Education”.
Today CCEEC offers a wide array of environmental education opportunities for school students, civic organizations and the general public. As a service to the public, the center's staff provides information relative to environmental problems and legislation, wildlife issue resolution, and agency referrals. In addition to classrooms and educational displays, the barn also houses an environmental research and lending library, and a wildlife rehabilitation hospital
CCEEC promotes awareness and understanding of our environment through education. By providing a variety of environmentally related services, and in stressing human environmental impacts, CCEEC encourages responsibility for, and appreciation of all natural resources.