History of the Beaver Community Fair
The First 50 Years written by Margie Krebs and Russell Weller for the 50th Anniversary of the Beaver Community Fair 1928 - 1978
The Beaver Community Fair was first sponsored by Vocational Agriculture and Home Economics Departments of Beaver Vocational High School. The purposes of the fair were to: provide an opportunity to exhibit agricultural products and Vo-Ag and Home Economics projects, promote greater interest in agriculture for school and community, and encourage the production of better crops and a higher standard of rural life. This was originally a school idea and project, but with wider opportunities the fair soon developed into a community activity.
The first Beaver Fair was announced to the pupils of the grade schools of Beaver Springs and Beavertown on Wed., Oct. 9, 1929, by the Beaver Vocational High School Principal, Ira G. Sanders, who with Mr. Arthur Townsend, Vocational Agriculture teacher and Miss Hazel Crist, Home Economics teacher, had developed the plans. The principal of the high school, Vocational Agriculture teacher and Home Economics teachers were responsible for the plans and for carrying them out until 1940 when the organization was changed. A list of school administrators, teachers and the later officers after the charter was granted is appended.